Feed from kayak or boat?

Any general discussion related to the swim.Any general discussion related to the swim.
Trev

Feed from kayak or boat?

Post by Trev »

Hi there, hoping for some tips on feeding our swimmers. I’m paddling as part of a tandem Duo.

Is it better to carry food and drink on the kayak and feed from the kayak, or keep food and drink on the boat and feed the swimmers from the boat?

Thanks
greg solo rotto swim

Re: Feed from kayak or boat?

Post by greg solo rotto swim »

Good morning Trev, I have completed a couple of ocean swims and have entered a the Rottnest channel swim for the first time this year. ( travelling from NSW for the challenge, lucky your swimmers with the support in place.
I prefer being feed from a kayak, can be closer, friendlier, no smell or propeller.
Drink bottles are identified, ie different contents different colour or labelled with contents. Tie the bottles to s short length of cord so the swimmer can just drop it and swim, kayaker can retrieve it easily. Bigger feeds can kept on the boat and retrieved by the Kayaker for the next stop as required, and spare water bottles likewise.
Best wishes for the swim. Regards Greg
rothcackle

Post by rothcackle »

You are able to take away larger portions of food, which may be stored on the boat and picked up by the kayaker should they be required for the next stop. Similarly, identical extra water bottles can be taken away.
betterwound

Post by betterwound »

I just did a diving training session so I recommend it better to carry food and drink on the kayak and feed from the kayak
herringburden

Post by herringburden »

greg solo rotto swim wrote: Wed 17/01/2024 9:21 am Good morning Trev, I have completed a couple of ocean swims and have entered a the Rottnest channel swim for the first time this year. ( travelling from NSW for the challenge, lucky your swimmers with the support in place.
I prefer being feed from a kayak, can be closer, friendlier, no smell or propeller.
Drink bottles are identified, ie different contents different colour or labelled with contents. Tie the bottles to s short length of cord so the swimmer can just drop it and swim, kayaker can retrieve it easily. Bigger feeds can kept on the boat and retrieved by the Kayaker for the next stop as required, and spare water bottles likewise.
Best wishes for the swim. Regards Greg
Please give me a review of the swimming tournament at the Rottnest channel
Last edited by herringburden on Tue 05/03/2024 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HankGutmann

Post by HankGutmann »

Regardless of the chosen method, having a clear communication plan between the kayaker, boat crew, and swimmers is essential for efficient feeding and coordination.snaptik
bekean

Post by bekean »

Whether on the kayak or boat, choose snacks that provide sustained energy for swimmers.
wordle